Training and education
We offer training and education programmes to people experiencing mental health difficulties and to those who support them to manage their own recovery.
Shine staff, people with lived experience and family members supporting people with lived experience of mental health difficulties, design and produce our recovery focused education programmes together.
Our team can provide you with more information on training and education courses and workshops in your area. Get in touch to find the right one for you.
This webpage tells you about the structure, aims and what you will learn in three of the workshops/courses we offer.
Our Taking Control Workshop is about learning practical ways to face life’s challenges. This course is for anyone who wants to learn how to maintain and take control of their physical and mental wellbeing.
Structure of the course
The workshop has four sessions– you will usually complete them over one day from 9.30am to 4pm. Sometimes, this workshop takes place over two half-days depending on the facilitator and group preference.
Aims of the course
The aims of the Taking Control Workshop are to build and improve:
- your resilience in the face of life’s challenges,
- your coping skills, especially ones you already have,
- your self-esteem and confidence.
What you will learn
After taking part in the workshop, you will:
- be aware of positive factors in your life,
- be more aware of opportunities open to you,
- be confident in your skills
- recognise the physical, mental and emotional effect of stressors (things that cause you stress),
- have action plans to protect yourself against these stressors,
- have goals and an action plan for your goals,
- know about the professional supports available to you.