Online Support Groups – Guidelines
Our priority is to ensure a safe and supportive environment for everyone participating in the group sessions. The below guidelines are to ensure that everyone feels comfortable, secure and that a safe place is being provided for the group to participate.
Please read the guidelines below and tick accept if you wish to subscribe to join a group. Acceptance and ongoing adherence of the guidelines is required.
- Your participation is important – share what you are comfortable sharing – the more participation, the richer the experience.
- Be thoughtful and generous in your response to other people’s messages – try to consider what might be useful in what they are trying to say, even if you disagree with it.
- Think about the language you use, words matter. Avoid offensive, sexually explicit or discriminatory comments.
- Confidentiality is important. Your commitment is to ensure that you have a private, secluded area, free from distraction, when participating in the group session.
- We will respect everyone’s confidentiality. All group sessions will be by video call and the ability to record or take screen shots of the groups has been disabled. Any relevant material will be emailed prior to the group session.
- Group support is best experienced when we share as a group. Using video chat software means that private text chats between participants will be shared with the co-facilitator.
- Certain topics are sensitive and best discussed one to one. They may spark memories, feelings or emotions that might be hard to handle. If we feel that a topic needs individual support outside the group Shine staff will be available for you to speak 1:1 during or shortly following the group.
- If you wish to address an issue or feel that you want to discuss something on a 1:1 basis you can message the co-facilitator/moderator directly using the chat function.
- Attendance at all sessions would be appreciated. If you cannot attend for any reason, please let facilitators know. If you have not informed us, we will contact with you to ensure you are OK.
- If you unexpectedly leave a group during a session, facilitators will contact you by phone to ensure you are in a safe place and do not require additional support.
- Do not publicly post your personal contact information (address and telephone number, etc.) or anyone else’s in the group.
- Do not @ or tag people in any posts you may make publicly about the group.