- Define our vision and strategic direction.
- Ensure good governance.
- Safeguard financial reserves.
- Maintain overall management.
Specific functions of the Board include:
1. Strategic plan and budgets.
2. Significant acquisitions (such as purchases) and disposal (sales) of assets.
3. Significant borrowings.
4. The annual report.
5. Each year’s audited financial statements.
6. The Audit and Risk Sub-Committee.
7. The Governance Committee.
8. Any other committee as agreed by Shine’s Board.
9. The Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
Shine Audit and Risk Sub-Committee
The two functions of the Shine Audit and Risk Sub-Committee are to:
- promote an understanding of the organisational review function by our Board, and
- provide a forum for senior management to discuss internal control including issues raised by external audit, risk management and governance.
Shine complies with The Charity Regulators Governance Code.
Shine’s external auditors are Deloitte Chartered Accountants, Deloitte & Touche House, 29 Earlsfort Terrace, Dublin 2, D02 AY28
Strategic Plan 2019 – 2021
Mark SynottMark Synott uses his financial skills to help our Board manage our finances and improve the efficiency of our services. Mark is an experienced financial services professional with over 25 years’ experience in the international financial services industry in Ireland. His current role is to act as Trustee on behalf of investors. This means he ensures that investors’ interests are protected in line with European regulations. Mark has a Master’s in Business Studies and is a member of the Institute of Directors in Ireland where he has achieved a Certificate and Diploma in Company Direction.
Brian MilesBrian Miles believes in a fully resourced public health service and the importance of service users and their family members being heard and empowered. Brian is a retired HSE Mental Health worker (clinical nurse specialist, systemic/ family therapy) and brings a wealth of experience to his role as a board member.
Pascal KingPascal King has a passionate interest in developing both awareness and funding in the mental healthcare sector. Pascal is an International Business Consultant working in the pharmaceutical and related healthcare sectors. He specialises in access to medicines in the specialty and rare disease sectors. Pascal holds a degree in Pharmacology from University College Dublin and a Master’s in Health Economics from Universitat Pompeu Fabra Barcelona.
Kevin RoantreeKevin Roantree has extensive knowledge and specialist skills and helps enhance the success of Shine. His knowledge and skills include:
- corporate governance,
- human resources (HR),
- information technology (IT) and data,
- media and communications,
- risk management,
- strategic development and implementation.
Marieke AltenaMarieke Altena is passionate about promoting the human rights of people with mental disorders and vulnerable groups, including their right to fully participate in society. Marieke is a programme manager in the HSE National Social Inclusion Office and started her career as an occupational therapist and case manager providing community-based clinical services to people with severe and enduring mental health difficulties. Marieke has extensive experience in:
- health systems strengthening,
- project management,
- capacity building,
- clinical mental health service provision within Australia, Ireland, UK, India and the Pacific.